St. Margaret Mary is dedicated to keeping our school community safe and healthy, and we understand that there is much uncertainty about how the pandemic might affect education in the coming months. St. Margaret Mary has developed a plan, with guidance from the Diocese of Rockford, to safely re-open our school for the 2020-21 school year. We have studied guidelines provided by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the IDPH (Illinois Department of Public Health), the ISBE (Illinois State Board of Education) as well as our county health department to formulate our educational plan. STMM will be following the guidelines put forth by these groups.
St. Margaret Mary Catholic School will begin the 2020-2021 school year on August 17, 2020. The first day of school will be a noon dismissal with no afternoon bus service for the students.
Starting Tuesday, August 18, students will return to a full day schedule 9:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. The first week will focus on establishing relationships as well as reviewing and practicing new routines and expectations. Our priority for the first few days of school will be to make our students feel welcome, safe, and comfortable being back in the classroom under some new/different circumstances.
St. Margaret Mary will also offer synchronous remote learning options for those students/families who wish to opt into this program. Remote learning will promote a degree of consistency with a unified platform (Google Classroom) and expectations related to what virtual instruction will look like as well as the engagement with students. Students will receive live lessons, independent study, and individual/small group online support throughout the school day. Students will also have access to the same learning materials. Grading for remote work will align with in-person grading practices. The remote learning plan developed will give families an option to receive a quality STMM education with a smooth transition back into the classroom. Please contact the school administration for additional information.
Health and Safety
- Students and staff members will have a daily temperature check upon entering the school building.
- All employees will be trained in the health and safety protocols relating to COVID-19.
- Face masks will be worn by all students, staff, volunteers, and visitors to the building.
- Throughout the day high-touch surfaces will be cleaned.
- After school the building will be thoroughly cleaned and prepared for the next school day.
- Visitors to the building will be limited.
- Families who are picking up their child(ren) will call the school office and the child(ren) will be walked out to the vehicle.
- Classroom teachers will revise their schedules to provide more frequent opportunities to be outside during class.
- Classes that are outside may remove their face covering once they are socially distant.
Physical and Social Distancing
- Directional floor markings and signs will be placed throughout the building to help direct the flow of movement throughout the building.
- Gatherings of 50 or more will not be permitted in one space.
- Students will eat lunch in the classrooms.
- Students will be taught how to maintain physical and social distance when in the classroom, hallway, and bathrooms.
- Student desks will be faced in one direction.
- Each classroom is equipped with a sink and hand soap. Students will wash their hands upon entering the classroom, before and after lunch/snack, and as needed throughout the school day.
- Classroom materials will be individualized. If items can not be utilized by individual students, items will be cleaned and disinfected between use.
Our goal is to ensure the STMM community understands the new guidelines and feels comfortable and secure returning to school in August, in person, or remotely. We are confident that by taking necessary precautions St. Margaret Mary Catholic School will be able to provide high-quality education as it has since 1955.
Principal – STMM