It was so good to see all our students and families this week. We are even more excited to welcome you back for the first day of school. Our doors open daily at 8:40 a.m. until 8:55 a.m.
Below are just a few reminders about the first day of school and some of the updates for the year.
What does arrival look like? Students in kindergarten through 8th grade will enter the building through the west doors. Our preschool students will enter through the preschool door. Additional information for preschool students has been shared with families from Mrs. S’s room. The doors for both preschool and kindergarten through 8th grade will open at 8:40 a.m.
- Car Line:
- Families will need to pull up to a numbered spot for the car drop offline.
- Students should exit the vehicles on the right-hand side of the car only.
- Once the student exits the vehicle, he/she must put on his/her mask.
- Families or carpool groups will move socially distant to the entrance temperature check. There are three temperature checks at the west doors to provide a quick and smooth check of each student.
- After the temperature is complete for all students in the car line, the cars will be released.
- f your child has a fever, he/she will be walked back to your vehicle and will need to go home. A temperature is considered 100.4 Ferenhight.
- West Parking Lot:
- Parents can park and walk to the bottom of the west stairs leading to the west doors. At this time, we are asking parents to say good-byes at the stairs. This will help alleviate congestion and promote social distancing at the west doors.
- Both parents and students will need to have masks on when in the parking lot during the drop off time (this will also apply during pick-up).
- Students will have their temperature checked at the top of the stairs and then proceed through the west doors.
- If your child has a fever, he/she will need to go home. A fever is considered 100.4 Ferenhight.
Will parents be permitted to walk students to the classrooms on the first day of school? Unfortunately, this year we will not be able to have students walked to the classroom by parents. Parents can drop off students in the car line or to the bottom of the stairs for families that park in the west lot.
Will my child need to wear a uniform on the first day of school? Yes, all students in kindergarten – 8th grade will need to wear their school uniforms.
Will students attend Mass on Monday? Our 8th-grade class will be attending Mass on the first day of school. Students in Kindergarten through 7th grade will participate virtually during this Mass. After this first week of school, classes will rotate attending Mass in the church. The number of classes attending live Mass will be evaluated throughout the year, and adjustments made. All students will participate in the outside Eucharist procession directly following Mass on the first day of school.
What time will school dismiss on the first day of school? The first day of school is a NOON dismissal. There will be no bus service or aftercare on the first day of school. Please be sure to send a note with your child as to how he/she will be going home.
What will dismissal look like? Dismissal is relatively unchanged. The biggest change is that we are asking families to ONLY park in the west lot and not the parish parking lot.
- Car Riders: Car riders are those students who are picked up in the west parking lot at the end of the school day. This year we are asking all families that are picking up in the west parking lot to park in the west lot only and not the parish parking lot.
- Students will be led out of the building by the classroom teachers at the end of the day.
- Parents may stand outside their vehicles but are asked to remain in their parking spots and wait for their child(ren).
- Teachers will be on hand to help students to find their parents.
- We ask that any person picking up who is out of your vehicle to wear a mask.
- Once all students and parents are in the vehicles, an orange flag will wave indicating that it is safe to move your vehicle. DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL THE FLAG IS WAVED!
- Walkers to the Library: Walkers to the library will be dismissed at 3:10 with the bus riders. These students will meet a teacher in the east hallway to walk over to the library.
- Students who are walking to the library will need to be in a mask.
- Bus: Bus service will begin on Tuesday, August 18, 2020.
- Students that take a bus home from school will be dismissed at 3:10. The students who ride the bus will gather in the gym for a few minutes until the bus arrives at the north doors.
- Once the bus arrives the students will exit the building through the north doors to the bus.
- Students who ride the bus will need to be in a mask.
How many masks should I send with my child? We strongly encourage students to bring at least three clean masks daily.
Should I send a refillable water bottle with my child? Yes, students will be allowed to refill their water bottles throughout the day at the touchless filling station. The other drinking fountains will not be in use at this time. If a student forgets a water bottle, a disposable water bottle will be provided for the day.
What do I do if I need to pick up my child early? If you need to pick-up your child early from school, please call the school office when you arrive (847) 658-5313. A staff member will walk your child out to your vehicle. If you are picking up your child early, please make every attempt to do so before 2:30 p.m.
As we adjust the new requirements and guidelines, we at STMM will make adjustments.
Below are some changes for the 2020 – 2021 school year.
LUNCH DELIVERIES: This STMM will not be accepting ANY food deliveries. To help reduce the number of visitors to the building, we are asking that there are NO FOOD DELIVERIES. If an attempt to deliver food is made it will be sent back to the restaurant. If a child forgets lunch, the office will first notify the parents, if the parents can not be reached a lunch will be provided for the child (cereal or mac and cheese).
BIRTHDAY TREATS: A birthday is a very special celebration for our students. We will continue to announce birthday celebrations each morning. This year we are asking students, who wish to bring in a birthday treat, to bring in non-food items or individually packaged store-bought food items.
LANYARDS/MASK STORAGE: Students will be provided a disposable brown paper bags to store their individual masks. These bags will be used at recess or free play outside. Many of our parents have asked about using a lanyard to hold the mask when not in use. Home and school will be selling approved school use lanyards. The type of lanyard being sold by Home and School has been approved by the Health Department and safe for use by the students. The cost of each lanyard is $3.00 each. Once the lanyards arrive additional information will be sent to our school families.
HOME AND SCHOOL FEE: Due to the restrictions to large group gatherings and celebrations, STMM will be limiting some of our Home and School activities. Traditionally the $100 activity fee covers the cost of all our student and family activities. At this time we have made the decision to reduce the fee to $50. The fee is a family fee and will be applied on September 1, 2020, and automatically withdrawn on September 10, 2020.
Principal – STMM